Monday 29 October 2012

Unpeeled

Unpeeled was tiring but fun this Saturday, a tribute to the greatest DJ of the twentieth century, John Peel, with many bands who recorded sessions for the best show on British radio playing forty minute sets at boththe Night and Day and Gullivers. For me the highlights were the heavy psychedelic posse Anthroprophh, Telescopes and Mugstar, who unfortunately had to drop at least two numbers from their set due to keyboard collapse. Blue Orchids, John Hyatt and Groundhogs were also damn good, although I missed the start of Blue Orchids' set due to Yeah Yeah Yeah Noh, a quintessential Peel band whose every song was familiar from late nights listening with headphones under the covers. I spotted four ex members of The Fall, one of whom wasn't even playing!

Inca Babies and Pink Peg Slax played that good ol' rock'n'roll very well. A nice lady platted my hair after Mugstar played which was a new experience for me, hello Nina. I have written a much longer review for "All the Time" but you will have to pay to read that unless you are Rico who deserves a free copy for putting me on the guestlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment